How Do I Measure Electricity Use of a Tenant or Renter?

Leave a comment

Question: I want to bill my tenant by the amount of electricity (kWh) they use, how do I measure how much electricity is being used by my tenant seperately?


Submeters or Utility sub-meters are specifically designed to meter tenants or a sub section of a home, apartment or condo are used to measure utility usage. There are many submeters on the market, but if you’re a landlord or tenant and you need to accurately measure and report electricity, it’s important to buy a revenue grade, high accuracy meter that is UL listed for US and Canada. In the US, the standard is ANSI C12.20 and in Canada, it’s Measurement Canada.

With that in mind, here are some key features that may be important to you:

  • Does it support Single or Three-Phase systems?
  • What kind of communications options does it offer? – this means are you will to walk up to the meter for readings or will you require remote access via PC?

Here are some revenue grade meters:

IMS mini-meter outdoor

IMS Mini-Meter with Outdoor Weatherproof Enclosure

The IMS MINI METER incorporates the latest digital sub metering technology in a small compact design for single phase 120V, 208V and/or 240V applications.

Acuvim IIR Power & Energy Meter with Datalogging

Acuvim IIR Power & Energy Meter with Datalogging

New!! Acuvim IIR revenue grade meter features four-quadrant energy measurements to ANSI C12 and Measurement Canada standards with on-board 4MB memory for datalogging. Power quality data includes harmonics to 50th.

EIG Shark 100 Revenue Grade Power & Energy Meter

EIG Shark 100 Revenue Grade Power & Energy Meter

EIG Shark 100 Revenue Grade Power & Energy Meter with optional measurement parameters, optional power quality, and optional RS485/Pulse/DNP 3.0 output. Unit also includes IrDA port for remote meter reading.

Now, if you’re looking to simply measure and read how much power is being used by a tenant and don’t need a revenue grade meter, then here are some other high accuracy, non-revenue grade electricity meters (ANSI C12 in the US) or you can use to read energy consumption:

Conzerv ELF3234 Panel Meter - power & energy

Conzerv ELF3234 Panel Meter – power & energy

Small, programmable three phase RMS panel meter for W, Wh or VA, VAh or VAR, VARh or PF. Available in standard class 1.0 accuracy or high accuracy class 0.5. For displaying W, Wh, and PF, please choose the ELF 3234-3 configuration.

TED 5000 Home Energy Monitor

TED 5000 power meter is a next-generation home energy monitor that features a built-in web server, Google Power Meter compatibility, and optional remote display.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us toll free: 1.877.766.5412

Like this post?

Delivered by Google FeedBurner

Tell us what you think!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.